In 1993 saxophonist Benjamin Herman began experimenting with DJ Graham B at nightclub Soul Kitchen in Amsterdam. The combination of playing live to spinning records was still unusual then. But the results worked and ended up evolving into the eight-piece New Cool Collective. The band is now impossible to think away from the nightclubs and festivals of the Netherlands and beyond.
As a pioneer of Dutch jazz, the band was long regarded as the ugly duckling of the scene. Jazz purists found their ‘soul jazz latin flavours nineties vibe’ too hard and fast. But once a group of younger club goers found their way to Café Meander where the sizzling orchestra played regularly, the dam burst. Now everyone, both jazz lovers and haters, go to their concerts. NCC has won an Edison, the Heineken Crossover Music Award, Gouden Kalf and the Gouden Notenkraker. They have toured England, Germany, Benelux, Africa, Canada, Russia and Japan. They have not only played in the hippest clubs but also giant rock and pop festivals such as Roskilde festival in Denmark, Sziget in Hungary, Lowlands in the Netherlands, Camden Mix Festival in London, and the Aberdeen Alternative Festival in Scotland.
New Cool Collective is made up of saxophonist Benjamin Herman, drummer Joost Kroon, percussionists Frank van Dok and Jos de Haas, pianist Willem Friede, bassist Leslie Lopez, guitarist Rory Ronde and trumpet-player David Rockefeller.
This friday the New Cool Collective Big Band will be opening the 40th edition of the Uitmarkt. They will be playing at this annual opening of the Dutch cultural season together with Tania Kross, DI-RECT, Nederlands Dans Theater (NDT), DIO, Idaly, Wende Snijders, Nora Fischer & Marnix Dorrestein, Pink Oculus, Boris, Dolf Jansen and Tamino. This year the Uitmarkt will be held in an entirely new location, [..] »
- 03-07 Rave reviews of the new Big Band & Thierno Koité album continue to flood in! »
- 12-05 New Cool Collective big band releases new album featuring Thierno Koite »
- 11-05 EXCLUSIVE: Listen to the new full album »
- 05-05 New Cool Collective releases first single from new Big Band album »
- 21-04 NCC Big Band & Thierno Koité RSD 7″ vinyl release »
- 27-08 '17 Spijkenisse Festival, Spijkenisse
- 16-09 '17 Loosdrecht Jazzfestival, Loosdrecht
- 30-09 '17 Zoetermeer Jazz, Zoetermeer
- 29-11 '17 Paradiso Noord, Amsterdam
- 01-12 '17 De Victorie, Alkmaar
NCCBB featuring Thierno Koité
Album : cd digital vinyl
release date: 12-05-'17
Yassa/Myster Tier (Big Band ft. Thierno Koité)
Single : vinyl
release date: 22-04-'17
The Things You Love
Album : cd digital vinyl
release date: 27-05-'16