In 1993 saxophonist Benjamin Herman began experimenting with DJ Graham B at nightclub Soul Kitchen in Amsterdam. The combination of playing live to spinning records was still unusual then. But the results worked and ended up evolving into the eight-piece New Cool Collective. The band is now impossible to think away from the nightclubs and festivals of the Netherlands and beyond.
As a pioneer of Dutch jazz, the band was long regarded as the ugly duckling of the scene. Jazz purists found their ‘soul jazz latin flavours nineties vibe’ too hard and fast. But once a group of younger club goers found their way to Café Meander where the sizzling orchestra played regularly, the dam burst. Now everyone, both jazz lovers and haters, go to their concerts. NCC has won an Edison, the Heineken Crossover Music Award, Gouden Kalf and the Gouden Notenkraker. They have toured England, Germany, Benelux, Africa, Canada, Russia and Japan. They have not only played in the hippest clubs but also giant rock and pop festivals such as Roskilde festival in Denmark, Sziget in Hungary, Lowlands in the Netherlands, Camden Mix Festival in London, and the Aberdeen Alternative Festival in Scotland.
New Cool Collective is made up of saxophonist Benjamin Herman, drummer Joost Kroon, percussionists Frank van Dok and Jos de Haas, pianist Willem Friede, bassist Leslie Lopez, guitarist Rory Ronde and trumpet-player David Rockefeller.
Surprise! Here’s the song Machu Picchu, a preview of the upcoming album Electric Monkey Sessions 2, which will be released on the 24th of November. Once again the band members of New Cool Collective went to the Electric Monkey studio in Amsterdam, with the idea of creating an even more raw and analog sound. The [..] »
- 22-08 New Cool Collective Big Band opens 40th Uitmarkt »
- 03-07 Rave reviews of the new Big Band & Thierno Koité album continue to flood in! »
- 12-05 New Cool Collective big band releases new album featuring Thierno Koite »
- 11-05 EXCLUSIVE: Listen to the new full album »
- 05-05 New Cool Collective releases first single from new Big Band album »
- 28-10 '17 Mestsky dům, Prerov
- 14-11 '17 Kongress Zentrum, Eisenstadt
- 29-11 '17 Paradiso Noord, Amsterdam
- 01-12 '17 De Victorie, Alkmaar
- 02-12 '17 Gebouw-T, Bergen op Zoom
Single : digital
release date: 18-08-'17
NCCBB featuring Thierno Koité
Album : cd digital vinyl
release date: 12-05-'17
Yassa/Myster Tier (Big Band ft. Thierno Koité)
Single : vinyl
release date: 22-04-'17