In 1993 saxophonist Benjamin Herman began experimenting with DJ Graham B at nightclub Soul Kitchen in Amsterdam. The combination of playing live to spinning records was still unusual then. But the results worked and ended up evolving into the eight-piece New Cool Collective. The band is now impossible to think away from the nightclubs and festivals of the Netherlands and beyond.
As a pioneer of Dutch jazz, the band was long regarded as the ugly duckling of the scene. Jazz purists found their ‘soul jazz latin flavours nineties vibe’ too hard and fast. But once a group of younger club goers found their way to Café Meander where the sizzling orchestra played regularly, the dam burst. Now everyone, both jazz lovers and haters, go to their concerts. NCC has won an Edison, the Heineken Crossover Music Award, Gouden Kalf and the Gouden Notenkraker. They have toured England, Germany, Benelux, Africa, Canada, Russia and Japan. They have not only played in the hippest clubs but also giant rock and pop festivals such as Roskilde festival in Denmark, Sziget in Hungary, Lowlands in the Netherlands, Camden Mix Festival in London, and the Aberdeen Alternative Festival in Scotland.
New Cool Collective is made up of saxophonist Benjamin Herman, drummer Joost Kroon, percussionists Frank van Dok and Jos de Haas, pianist Willem Friede, bassist Leslie Lopez, guitarist Rory Ronde and trumpet-player David Rockefeller.
We would like to congratulate New Cool Collective on winning the Edison Jazz/World Award for Best World Album for New Cool Collective Big Band feat. Thierno Koité! The prestigious prize will be awarded on Friday July 6th during the Edison Jazz / World 2018 as part of North Sea Round Town, the fringe festival of [..] »
- 26-01 New Electric Monkey Sessions 2 tour dates confirmed »
- 24-11 New Cool Collective releases Electric Monkey Sessions 2 »
- 20-10 New Cool Collective releases new track from EMS 2 »
- 15-09 Preview of NCC’s new album ‘Electric Monkey Sessions 2’ »
- 22-08 New Cool Collective Big Band opens 40th Uitmarkt »
- 23-06 '18 Jazz at Home, Eibergen
- 07-07 '18 Fabriek Magnifique, Veghel
- 08-07 '18 Kunsthal, Rotterdam
- 19-08 '18 Vondelpark Openluchttheater, Amsterdam
- 21-08 '18 Kampeerterrein Stortemelk, Vlieland
Electric Monkey Sessions 2
Album : cd digital vinyl
release date: 24-11-'17
Single : digital
release date: 18-08-'17
NCCBB featuring Thierno Koité
Album : cd digital vinyl
release date: 12-05-'17